Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mont-Comi is NOT Brookvale

I feel like I'm out of the honeymoon phase of my Rimouski experience. I still love Rimouski, my job, the people, and everything! But I've noticed myself really settling into a nice little rut - not what I want. So I was very glad today when I rolled out of bed, half considered not going on our little day trip and was nudged by Emily to come.

We went to Mont-Comi! And let me tell you, it is definitely NOT Brookvale. My legs are currently still aching from the whole thing. I'm still amazed that I didn't die. I went down a lot of the "facile" runs the whole time which is not like the "easy" runs at Brookvale. Seriously, if PEI grew mountains then today could have been much less terrifying.

Now, if you know me, you know that I'm generally not the kind of person to give up. After that first run though, I was very very close to just calling it quits and reading in the chalet instead. We went up on the lift and went down our first run. I quickly realized that I am lacking in skiing skills.

Give me skates and an ice rink any day!

I've only skied three times I believe in my whole life and was going this time with friends who snowboarded, or were fairly good skiers. So once we started today I told them to go on ahead and I'd make it to the bottom eventually. I really got scared at one point, suddenly I realized how far the bottom was from where I was. I realized how big this mountain was. I realized that it was very easy to lose control. But I talked myself through it the whole way down... Yes, I probably sounded like a crazy Anglophone ("Keep going. Okay. Okay. Slow down. Uncross your skis. Almost there. Don't. Lose. Control.") It is what I had to do in order to make it to the bottom in one piece, and it worked thankfully!

Speaking of being a crazy Anglophone. I was riding the lift with a man at one point and suddenly he started chatting away to me in French. I smiled, nodded, and laughed. I wasn't overly keen on having a French conversation while there were acrobatics performing cartwheels in my stomach! After a long awkward pause where I think I was supposed to reply to a statement instead of smile and nod, he finally said "You don't speak French, do you?" I had to laugh then because I realized that I had no idea what I was nodding and smiling to when he was talking. "Seulement un peu." Needless to say, it ended up being a much less awkward trip to the top when he switched to English for my sake. 

--Him: "So, which hill are you going to do?" 
   Me: hahaha *smile* *nod* ---

Anyway, not only was the day a lot of fun, but I was also quite proud of myself by the end of it. I think I did six or seven runs in total. And the last few times I only stopped for a break halfway down instead of falling over frequently to "give my legs a break". Yay for fall-free-runs!!

The only damage done is the pain my thighs, shins, and calves are in right now (and a bruise on my hip). But, know what the important thing is?

I did it and I'm alive!!


No comments: