Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kadoozled

I have just discovered something unbelievable in my life. It confuses me, astonishes me, and kadoozles me. Okay, so kadoozle is a word I made up, but believe me - it could be another synonym for confuse. The thing that kadoozles me is this: I have only been in Quebec for thirteen days. And only ten in Rimouski, people. That is nothing in the realms of life I once knew so well. In those realms, ten days flew by as well but with not nearly as much kadoozling elements. Let me explain what I mean in simple and summarized terms. You will notice that I like lists by the way, especially when it is almost midnight and my little brain is tired. Mountains and the French language do that to me. Here are the kadoozling elements of the last 13 days:

1. I said "good-bye/see you later" to a multitude of people which in itself is quite the task. Even on the trip to Quebec City, the farewells didn't end. For the travel, my friend Katie joined me in my cramped little Accent (still unnamed in case anyone has a brilliant suggestion). Along the way, we stopped at my brother and sister-in-law's house for the night and said good-bye to Tiffany and my nephew in the morning. Then the farewell to Katie after we had been in Quebec for a few days. Like I said, kadoozling  that so many farewells can happen in such a short amount of time.

2. Friendships were made with people from all across Canada during the training sessions. We made up our own languages together, sang in the streets together, saw fireworks, saw a Cirque du Soleil show, and even got hit on by break dancers.

3. I was so nervous about meeting people here in Rimouski and making friends. But my nerves and anxious feelings have completely dissipated as I get to know some really great people here. 

4. I have learned what to say in French, what not to say in French, and words in English that are not socially acceptable, but are in French. I know, kadoozling. For example, the f-bomb in most anglophone parts of Canada is generally not an okay thing, in French it just means to be "mixed up". 

5. In the past thirteen days, I have slept in six beds. Yes, six. Now, before you get all worked up about this and start forming ideas about me, I will explain. I slept in my own bed, then in the guest bed at Tiffany's, then  in one of the beds in Katie's hotel room, then the one in mine, and then in the bed at Helene and Andre's house; finally two nights ago, I have settled into my apartment and my own bed. SIX different beds.

6. I teach at two schools in remote mountain villages. This sounds very primitive and I don't mean for it to. They are very nice schools, but the commute out is very upwards in parts.

7. I have had some down days where I was kadoozled by the funk I was in. This was due to the lack of a permanent address and all of the challenging transitions. But with prayer and some good ol Psalms, God got me out of the funk.


Anywho, that is probably enough for tonight. I feel like I have a collection of more tales up somewhere in my  tired brain, but I'll save them for a more alert day.

Take care. Be happy. And keep checking in. 

No comments: