Monday, October 31, 2011

The Week of Halloween


Tonight is the actual Halloween in Rimouski (and everywhere else). But it has felt like Halloween for the past few days. Maybe I didn't notice, but back home, costumes normally don't come out until the day before. Not here though. They walk down the streets in their costumes, go to work in their costumes, go to the hockey game in their costumes. It is a big deal! On Friday I played a game with my Sec II students and at one point in the game I told the students to "step over the line" if they liked Christmas MORE than Halloween. Only a few stepped over. Seriously, people love this holiday here!

People back home would be so proud of me (People=Mom and Em)! I made my own Halloween costume. Not just put it together with pieces around the house like when I went as Pippi Longstocking a few years back. I already had the red hair and freckles, I had mismatched socks and little black flats, and a torn Disney princess shirt. I was all ready to go.

Not this year folks. I went out and bought several metres of organza and sewed it all together to make a little gold and brown tutu. Then I got some fake leaves, ribbon, and flowers which I glued all over the skirt. I twisted a garland that had little red and gold berries on it into a wreath for my head. After my wand was made and my face makeup done - I was ready to go out as Autumn. 

Now, I didn't go out as Autumn alone. No, that would be silly. With me was Spring, Winter, and Summer. I must say that after several hours of creativity, glue, silliness, and glitter - we looked pretty good.




Also - a fun French/English fact for you: The term Trick-or-Treat is purely an Anglo thing and Rimouskians don't understand that in English communities, tricking happens! My sec II students were very surprised to hear about the common egging, TPing, and other such antics that went on around Belfast in my earlier years. I worry that I gave new ideas to some of the boys. :S

Happy Halloween everyone! Be safe. Have fun! And make sure you don't eat all your trick-or-treaters' candy before they ring your bell!

No comments: